Graphic design considerations
Try different font combinations for headings and body copy. Some people like to use serif fonts for headings and sans-serif fonts for body copy. Some people prefer the opposite.
- A Guide to Web Typography - Nice and quick guide to some simple web typography concepts.
- A Journey Through Beautiful Typography in Web Design - grandiosely-named links to some examples of design-driven sites using big fonts or fonts at weird angles.
There are many sites that feature nice color combinations dreamed up by talented designers. Try basing your design choices on any color pattern you like.
- Adobe Kuler - is one such site that features nice color combinations you can use for your pages.
- colourlovers.com - another one
The alignment of graphical components and their relative positions, sizes, and proportions can affect the "interestingness" of a given design. In particular, try playing around with:
The foreground and background images you choose have a huge impact on the impression your design makes. Never compromise on image quality, unless you are intentionally going for the "poor quality" look.
- use the image in its original proportions
- make sure the image resolution is suitable for your use
- verify the image dimensions match your needs