Suggested data sources
Here are a few of the data sources that Andrew Battista of NYU Data Services shared with our class. Note that you are encouraged by Andrew to visit Data Services on the 5th Floor of Bobst Library for help finding data:
- Data Sources by Topic: http://guides.nyu.edu/content.php?pid=352851&sid=2886542 (especially NYC data sources)
- NYC Department of City Planning's Bytes of the Big Apple: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/applbyte.shtml
- NYC Open Data project: https://nycopendata.socrata.com/
- Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR): http://www.icpsr.umich.edu/icpsrweb/landing.jsp (in particular, data on crime).
- International Monetary Fund (IMF) eLibrary Data: https://www.imf.org/external/data.htm
Other sample data sets that might interest you:
- MusicBrainz - http://musicbrainz.org/
- Baseball statistics - http://www.baseball-reference.com/
- Financial Data - http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - http://www.bls.gov/data/
- US Census -http://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/gazetteer.html
You might also consider consulting with a Subject Librarian at the library if you prefer for additional data sources or data sources in your specific field of study.