GitHub allows two kinds of accounts. Either type of account can own repositories and all other features of a GitHub project.
- Personal accounts
- Organization accounts
Setting up an organization
Each group project in this course will invited as members of a GitHub Organization created by the Professor.
The Professor will:
- create an Organization in their user account Settings
- under the
Peopletab of the Organization’s dashboard, he will click the
Invite memberbutton to invite all students (i.e. developers) to the Organization
- create a repository for each project - these repositories will belonging to the Organization
- create a Team for each repository within that repository’s Settings
- give that Team Admin permissions on that repository
- within the Team’s dashboard, add the other project members under
- students will thus have permissions to control their own repositories