Discord Messenger Use Within an Introduction to Computer Programming Course
Discord is a messenger / discussion application that we use for all course communication. See the official Beginner’s Guide for how to use Discord’s basic functionality.
Every user is assigned a role.
admins- graders, tutors, any course assistants, and the instructor are all given this role
graders- graders are given this role
tutors- tutors are given this role
students- students are given this role
It is possible to send a message to all users with a specific role by including @role in the message, e.g.
An overview of the channels used in this course.
Channels are organized into categories. The categories are…
Channels in the “GENERAL CHANNELS” category:
admin- a channel for the admins to converse
exams- a channel for discussion related to exams
general- a channel for general conversation
grading- a channel moderated by the graders for discussion about grading
pronouncements- a channel for official announcements from the admins… only admins should post here
quizzes- a channel for discussion about quizzes
random- random discussion
tutoring- a channel moderated by the tutors for discussion about tutoring
Channels in the “STUDENT WORK 01” category:
fb1258- each student must create a private channel and invite the admins - replace
fb1258with your own NYU Net ID.
To keep discussions orderly and focused, abide by the following rules:
- students should never post to the
pronouncementschannel - keep this for official announcements only
- student-created channels must be placed in an appropriate channel category.
- if you are targeting a message to a specific person, use the
@usernamesyntax to notify them, e.g.
Dear @Prof - great to see you!
- general messages and questions should be posted to a relevant public channel so others can see the discussion surrounding it
- if a message is related to your personal performance or grades, send it as a private message in your private channel or dicsuss in-person
- direct questions about grading to the graders - they have the word, “
Grader”, in their usernames
- direct questions about tutoring to the tutors - they have the word, “
Tutor”, in their usernames
- direct questions about other matters to the professor (
@Prof) and the course assistant if there is one for this course - they have the word, “
Course Assistant”, in their username
Students are expected to abide by NYU’s student conduct policies in all their communication in this course, regardless of the platform being used.